Search

A Fighting Irish Fan from the Other Side of the World

See Irish fans, I'm probably the most unlikely Notre Dame Fighting
Irish fan in the world. I'm a college student but not attending The
University of Notre Dame. I have never been to South Bend let alone
U.S mainland. Wait... I have never watched a live football game.
See Irish fans, I live in this island, literally, called Guam
(13º 30n, 144º 48E).







Guam... there's not much to say. It's a really small island owned
by the US , so that 'technically' makes as Americans. Anyways, football
is very popular on Guam, but see Irish fans, we do not root for a single
team, so I really cannot say that our island is a Cowboys, Browns, Trojans
or Figting Irish 'town', and as far as I know, I am the only Irish fan on
this rock, and I am proud to say that.

See fellow Irish fans, I have only been an Irish fan for just about 4 years.
My first memory of Notre Dame (Willingham era) was the Golden helmet
and at that moment I saw the tunnel of light. But, it would be months later
until I finally saw a Notre Dame game on television.

It was Notre Dame against some team from California called USC
(at that timethe only school I knew from California was UCLA). Oh
man, that game was a GAME. Game commentary wise, they were talking
about USC being a really badass team, and Notre Dame a historic team
rising from the grave with a new coach whom they shown on TV
(Charlie was and still is fat at the time) who did not look like a coach to
me at that time.

That game was the perfect game to be introduced to Notre Dame football.
I mean that game had everything. Fans, beautiful stadium, interesting figures
(Samardzija, Quinn, Weis, Zbikowski, Leinart, Bush whom I did not know
anything about, but their names just stood out like the golden helmets),
plays, intensity and a finish.

I went to school two days later and asked everyone if they had seen the
football game... no one saw the game.

Nonetheless, that game was truly the game that made me an Irish fan...

THE IRISH FAN FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD.

* Photo from Keith-Killer of deviantart.com

0 comments: